I am a qualified physiotherapist, biomedical scientist and obtained a PhD in Education (Didactics). In my non-wine occupation I am an industry consultant and lecturer at Stellenbosch University in Occupational Health (Ergonomics) and Quality Improvement Management.
I have served as a wine tasting judge for more than 10 years including:
- Wine-of-the-Month Club selection panel,
- Platter’s South African Wine Guide: Wine and Brandy/Husk Spirit (panel chair),
- Veritas Awards (panel chair),
- International Wine and Spirit Competition (panel chair)
- International Wine Challenge
- Concours Mondial
- Mondial du Merlot
- Decanter World Wine Awards
- ABSA Top 10 Pinotage Competition
- ABSA Peroldt Competition for Cape Blends
- Battle of the Berge
- Nedbank Green Wine Awards
- Diners Club Winelist of the Year
- FNB Top 10 Sauvignon Blanc
- Nederburg Auction Selection
- Worcester and Breedekloof Winemaker of the Year
- Ultra Best Value Competition
- RECM Best Value (panel chair)
- Breedekloof Food and Wine Pairing Competition
- Shiraz Challenge
- CAPPA Port Challenge
- Muscadel Association Competition
- South African Port Association Challenge
- Michelangelo International Wine Awards
- Nedbank Getaway Best Value Awards
- Various other wine selection panels.
I present regular corporate and private wine and brandy tastings. These include:
- Visiting international delegates
- International conference attendees
- Hemel en Aarde Chardonnay Celebration
- Bi-annual Cape Wine Fair
- Cape Wine Masters Institute
- International Wine and Spirit Competition
- South African Brandy Foundation
- Wines of South Africa (WOSA)
- Chardonnay Association
- Old Mutual Wine Club
- International Wine Education Centre (Wine and Spirit Education Trust courses)
- The Wine Education Service
- Hermanus Fine Arts Celebration
In addition, I am a member of the exclusive South African Brandy Guild, as well as the Grand Maître of the Commanderie de Bordeaux en Afrique du Sud.
I appeared as a guest on the lifestyle programme, Signature Living with Reuben, and curated a South African Brandy exhibition for the Pendock Wine Gallery.
I am a member of the Education Committee of the ICWM. I serve as a committee member of the Circle of Wine Writers, as well as a member of the Association of Wine Educators (both British associations).
Writing includes wine/brandy and restaurant reviews for the 021 Magazine, Classic Wine, Good Taste, Die Burger newspaper, Cheers, Graffiti, Stellenbosch Visio, and Mango Airlines inflight magazine.