Francis (Duimpie) Bayly completed his BSc at the University of Stellenbosch, an MSc at the University of California (Davis), and a PMD at Harvard. He began his work career in the laboratory at Stellenbosch Farmers Winery in 1962 and went on to become Group Operations Director.
He served on the Board of Distell, South Africa’s largest Wine & Spirit company that incorporated the old Stellenbosch Farmers Winery. Duimpie was been involved in the wine industry for more than 40 years. During that time, he served on and chaired many industry committees and societies.
He served as president of the South African Society of Oenology & Viticulture (honorary life member). He enjoyed his position as Chairman of the South African Demarcation Committee (appellation contrôlée) -a position that took him throughout the wine growing regions of South Africa. Duimpie was one of the first three to qualify as a Cape Wine Master in 1983.
He also served on wine judging panels both nationally and internationally.
Duimpie sadly passed away in 2021, and left a massive void in the Institute of Cape Wine Masters, as well as the South African Wine Industry at large.
- Board Member: Distell Group
- President: Cape of Good Hope Agricultural Society (Agri-Expo)
- Chairman: Biodiversity& Wine Initiative (BWI)
- Chairman: SA National Wine Show Association (Veritas)
- Chairman: Technical Committee of the Wine & Spirit Board
- Chairman: Demarcation Committee of the Wine of Origin System
- Board Member: Pinotage Association
- Patron: Charity Wines Trust
- Patron: Elsenburg Old Students Association (EKOV)
- Honorary Life President: SA Society of Oenology & Viticulture (SASEV)
- SASEV. Merit Award 1986
- K.W.V. Wine Man of the Year 1999